[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

A30240 at aol.com A30240 at aol.com
Wed Jan 27 17:26:11 PST 1999

From: A30240 at aol.com

A couple thoughts about boom gallows.

Our main sheet is at the end of the boom.  To get a secure pull down into the
gallows, one would have to disconnect the sheet and pass it aft of the
gallows.  An alternative would be to place the gallows in position when needed
(no fun in a heavy sea).  As has been noted by others, there will be some
interference with the main sheet if the gallows is always in place.  Of course
you could move the sheet forward on the boom about 6" by attaching a bail.
The height of a gallows on an A30 would be fairly low, if seeing a lot of the
boats under sail is any guide.  A lot lower than I would want for an awning or
bimini.

A boom crutch would be a good alternative and it would allow the boom to be
raised so that a normal human could stand erect under the boom, or an awning
set over the boom.  A crutch would easily stow on the coach roof, or in a
locker when not in use.

Personally I will stay with the system that has been on Isa Lei for 32 years,
the topping lift - with the sheet hauled to one side and a tricing to the
other.

Jim Davis
Isa Lei
240