[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Jan 27 13:24:08 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

    My boom gallows on the schooner was inside the main sheet by just
enough to clear when on a run. My main sheet was rigged just like an
Alberg, though the boom was rather longer and the main sheet attached
about 30 inches inboard of its end. Never gave any trouble at all.
Still, a crutch that drops into a socket or bracket and stows somewhere
- not a lot of room on an Alberg - would give a clear area aft when
under sail. Of course on the Schooner I had no topping lift like the
Alberg's.

    I still get goosebumps looking at the schooner under sail with the
main gaff topsail set. I think that's the prettiest rig I ever saw.
                                                                - Gordon
White