[alberg30] Considering Purchase

Brian Zinser bzinser at nmu.edu
Mon Jan 4 07:59:55 PST 1999

From: Brian Zinser <bzinser at nmu.edu>

George, I am a new subscriber and am glad I found your list.  I have
visited your web site a hundred times over the last year and have spent the
last three nights going over archived digests.

I too am a former Catalina owner who sold my boat last summer.  Since then,
I have been searching for either an Alberg 30 or a Tartan 27 here on the
upper lakes.  (There may be five Great Lakes, but only one is called
Superior.  And, I don't sail on the protected waters in the Apostles.)  In
the meantime, my decision has been confused by the availability,close to
home, of a Pearson 30 Wanderer.

However, I have located an Alberg 30 and am close to making an offer,
contingent upon a satisfactory purchase survey.  The boat (sorry, I don't
have the hull number) was manufactured in 1966 and has a '66 Graymarine
Seascout 91 gasoline engine.  Does anybody have this engine?  And, if so,
is it reliable?  If not, how much should I expect to spend to install a
diesel replacement?

The hull and decks appear to be in good shape.  Unlike my '76 Catalina,
there appears to be no crazing on the topside.  However, the current owner
has painted the hull (no evidence of the topsides) with Petit Easy Poxy
about 3 times, most recently about 3 years ago.  He applied it himself with
a roller.  Are there any problems with this coating and application method?

I have been watching the market here on the upper lakes for the last 2-3
years.  Most of the boats that have transacted have been early '70 models.
Could anyone give me a ballpark figure on what a fair value would be for
boat of this vintage, with the Gray engine.  Boat has had few modifications
and is in good shape (I will have lamination tested).  Main sail and #2 jib
will probably have to be replaced.

Thank you in advance for any replies.  I have admired the Alberg 30 since I
first saw one in Montrose Harbor, Chicago over 15 years ago.  Its classic
lines mysteriously navigated my dingy over to the star dock on with it was
moored so I could see what type of boat it was.  After 15 years of
dreaming, I'm ready to move up.

Brian Zinser
bzinser at nmu.edu
Marquette, MI