[alberg30] Sails

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Jul 12 20:45:04 PDT 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

TO THE LIST:

My laundry list of things to do aboard WILD ELF includes this item:  "Buy
sails."  Being a newcomer to the list, I am sure that you all have hashed out
the pros and cons of various types and makers of canvas for A30s, and I
apologize for asking you all to repeat yourselves for my benefit.  I would be
grateful if you all could share your thoughts with me in this respect.  WILD
ELF's current suit was cut by the Hild loft on City Island (NY) maybe 10
years ago; she has a Cruising Designs roller furler and a 135 genoa.  I am
considering a fully-battened main and another RF genoa, 135 or 150.

Any thoughts as to the battened main?  As to genoa size?  As to the CD
furler?  (It has been rather unruly -- the line works free over the cage and
off of the drum while under sail.)  Does anyone have any experience with
those foam luff inserts used by UK and others to help shape the genoa when
roller-reefed?  Any preferences as to lofts in the Western LI Sound? (I am
sailing out of Oyster Bay, NY.)

As always, I am most indebted to those of you who share your wisdom and
experience.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sanders McNew,
WILD ELF (# 297),
New York City.

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
http://www.onelist.com
See homepage for details on ONElist’s new "FRIENDS & FAMILY" program.