[alberg30] Main Halyard Sheave

sousa, christopher sousa_christopher at emc.com
Wed Jul 14 04:26:57 PDT 1999

From: "sousa, christopher" <sousa_christopher at emc.com>

John,

If you can, try to find a used sheave at a marine consignment shop (there
are a few in New England that we frequent).  This is definitely the cheapest
way to go, and can save you the hassle of waiting to have one fabricated.
We came upon a 6" delrin sleeved sheave that came off a Maxi Yacht.  The
sail area on one of those monsters is nearly three times what we fly on the
Albergs, so the sheave makes hoisting the main an effortless task.  With
some filing of the mast pocket, it was a perfect fit (wider then the
original A30 sheaves).  At the same time, we replaced the main halyard with
Sta-Set 7/16" line.  It is comfortable on the hands, and doesn't stretch as
much as other brands.

Regards,

Chris Sousa
Carina Vela