[alberg30] Maintenance of Wood and q on Sikkens

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 08:41:04 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Saw the question on Sikkens;
On my last boat, an Alberg 22, we were redoing all the exterior teak, and I
had heard so much about Sikkens that I wanted to try it.  We sanded all the
teak to clean wood, then applied four coats of sikkens, roughing up inbetween
coats with scotchbrite pads. The results were acceptable, though the sikkens
'muddied' the grain a bit.  It also did not last the season, needing
recoating midseason, and end of season.  The wood did not blacken, but the
sikkens dissappeared on some vertical surfaces.  In hindsight, the prep work
for varnishing is the same as the sikkens, as is the roughing up between
coats, so except for adding 2 additional coats of varnish, the work is the
same, but varnish looks better, and lasts longer. I like Z Spar captains
varnish.
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255