[alberg30] Water Tank and Handrails

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Sat Jun 5 05:45:42 PDT 1999

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

>     I have been trying to find the freshwater  tank.  The previous owners
>did not have a line hooked up to the  galley.  I have traced the water
>intake from the port bow down to the area  in the v-berth between the two
>berths.  However, it is completely built-in  and I cannot find where it
>can be checked.  Is this normal or am I looking  in the wrong place.  Is
>it possible that the tank has been damaged and  that's why it is not used.
>  Also, my deck  handrails are in sad shape and I would like to replace
>them.  All the  places I've checked sell 5 loop handrails that are 53"
>long and 10.5"  on center.  Mine are 56" long and 10.75 on center.  Does
>anyone  know where I can buy the handrails that fit the Alberg 30  deck.
>And lastly, I  would like to put in a holding tank for the head.  Does
>anyone have  experience with flexible holding tanks.  Is that a good idea,
>or, is there  a common way of getting this done.   As always, any  help
>would be very much appreciated.   John  Bailey "Zevulun"  #33

John,

I just replaced mine and am very pleased with the results. They were custom
made by :
	H & L Marine
	2965 E Harcourt
	Rancho Dominguez, CA 90221
	Phone 323-636-1718
	Phone 323-636-1720
They cost $72 me each and took about 4 -5 weeks.

Wind Call #397 has the newer deck layout so my rails may not be identical
to yours. Mine measure 56.5 inches long. I made a drawing from which H & L
made the rails. The drawing does not show the bolt holes as I needed to
custom fit the outside hand rails to the existing holes in the cabin top
and to the holes in the inside hand rails which are held by  the same
bolts.

The rails on Wind Call have the heads of the bolts on the inside rails and
the nuts are epoxied inside the external rails. (I made the mistake of
starting to remove them from the outside and found that by the time I found
the nuts I had "unepoxied" the first one and couldn't unscrew the bolt
because then the nut turned freely. Had to whittle away the wood to get a
wrench on it. When you take out the plug looking for the bolt head, don't
scrape out any epoxy you see until you check the other end.)

The rails have to be counterbored (I think that's the term) for the head
and nut ends of the bolts. I marked my rails from inside the cabin and then
took them to a woodworking shop to be drilled. The taper on the handrails
complicates the drilling process.

If the 56.5 inch dimension sounds right, I would glad to send a copy of the
drawing. Or if you are fortunate to own a Macintosh :-), or can otherwise
handle ClarisWorks or Pict graphics, I can email the drawing. Send me your
snail mail address if you want me to mail the drawing. (I didn't see your
name in the A30 Assn roster).

By the way my water tank is between the V berths under the wood panel.
There was no access to the inside of the tank, but I installed an
inspection port. The tank is integral to the hull.

Regards,
	Bob Johns. Wind Call #397