[alberg30] carburetor installation

grennie at csc.com grennie at csc.com
Tue Jun 8 14:20:59 PDT 1999

From: grennie at csc.com

Why do you need to replace it?  Moyer Marine (and others, including
Annapolis NAPA) sell rebuild kits which replace all of the gaskets, most
jets, etc.  Unless you've done some physical damage to the carb this should
work.  Disassembly and reassembly are fairly straight forward although the
engine compartment is pretty cramped (my motor was sitting in my garage
when
I rebuilt mine).  You have to remove (2) nuts to get the carb off the
intake
manifold then disconnect the fuel line.  Make sure the fuel line is empty,
or you've got something to catch the gas since several ounces can flow out.
Once the carb is out it has to be disassembled and reassembled with the new
parts.  The only part I found tricky was trying to figure out the float
setting since there are many versions.  I just set it parallel to the top
housing and it's been working fine.  Just a note on main jets, which aren't
included in the NAPA kit.  My carb had a jet which was way too big.  Moyer
suggested I might have the adjustable jet without the adjustment needle.
This caused it to run WAY too rich.  I ordered the correct jet from Moyer
and it runs like a champ.  By the way, that bad main jet saved me about
$2000 when I bought Yankee Star because the previous owner thought the
engine was shot!

From: Shawnwilliam at msn.com

Has anyone installed a new carburetor on their Atomic 4? I need to replace
mine and would like any helpful hints.

Would it make more sense to hire someone to do it?

Thanks
Shawn #307