[alberg30] new owner and ice box drain

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Jun 13 10:40:21 PDT 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

    I had the outside icebox lid on my boat (# 275) but did away with
it. There is a reason people have done that on a number of boats, and
one is that it allows so much heat in that ice does not last long.
Another is just that it takes room to get at it in the cockpit.
    I took out the top opening and cut the icebox down to just a bit
above the top of the door in the cabin. I put a piece of lexan in the
former lid, which I sealed shut and put a piece of marine plywood,
varnished, on top of the icebox, making a small chart table. The lexan
lets in sunlight and you can put one of those chart books there. (Cover
the lexan when not in use to save the varnish from the sunlight)
    I then re-arranged the opening to a let-down door rather than side
to side and put a plastic ice chest in the cooler, pending a complete
re-insulation job. OK for weekends, though not as much space as before.
I wish I could get a top-opening to save cold. I use a drain with a loop
in it into the bilge, though little melt-water actually escapes the
inserted cooler.

                                - Gordon White