[alberg30] new owner and ice box drain

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Sun Jun 13 10:06:31 PDT 1999

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Hello All,

Just a reminder that like liquid, vapor will flow freely.  If all you have
is a hole, or even just a tube to the bilge, the cold, dense air will have a
tendency to flow out just like the water.  To mitigate this you need to put
a "vapor trap" in the line.  All this really means is that you need to put a
loop in the drain hose.  Once a little ice-melt fills the loop with a slug
of water, the cold vapor will no longer be able to escape, but as the ice
melts additional water will spill over the top of the loop to drain.  Just
like the drain trap under your sink.  You may notice that your ice will last
considerably longer.

Cheers to all you folks in the colder climes who are now able to get back
out there...Enjoy!

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121