[alberg30] another additional A30 owner

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Wed Jun 30 19:16:54 PDT 1999

From: "Alan P. Kefauver" <apk2 at home.com>

Hi:
Just bought 1966 A30 Hull #152 from Lou Maas. She has a blue hull and is named Andante. Lou and I brought her up from Annapolis to Middle River on Monday. She had been sitting in the slip unused for about 5 years. Just prior to that, she had her hull Imron'ed, new Main and a new roller furling Genoa. She has all the A30 Association's upgrades and fixes, to include the changed through hulls, the TDX head system, the aluminum sistered main beam (under the mast), and much more. She has a Gray Marine 25 with an over size fuel tank and the exhaust upgrade.

Prior to going North, I changed most of the engine hoses, replaced the exhaust hose, replaced the alternator, and changed the voltage regulator to a solid state one. Put in new batteries and battery switch,  changed the cleats from wooden ones to aluminum, re-rigged the jib and main halyards which had derailed out of the blocks at the masthead, and realigned the track on the unique but nice "Cruising Design" headsail furling system.

Going North with Lou (who is 79), the only hose I didn't change popped, the roller furling jammed, and I steped through a rotten seat hatch cover. With a 15 knot breeze out of the South and a following sea, changing that hose underway was a uniquely quesy experience. Oh, and yes the prop is fouled with barnicles also, so when when the motor was running, about 4 knots was tops.

However, with the Genoa unfurled and no Main we hustled North at about 5 to 6 knots (guessing here because the knotometer is broken). What a sea kindly boat! I had traded in a Cape Dory 25 in 1984 for a 76 Cal 2-29 which has a spade rudder and fin keel.  Glad I am back to the Alberg design. Not as fast or as manueverable as the Cal, but certainly less frenetic and much more comfortable  and refined. Just about sailed into the slip. I feel a lot more comfortable taking my 8 year old sailing on this boat than on the Cal.

I look forward to having this boat for many years, and should have her in Bristol shape in about a year or so. Although the engine runs well and blows water seemingly OK, there is a good bit of steam coming out of the exhaust. Engine temp runs between 150 and 180 and there is no thermostat in the system at this time. It's almost as if there is not enough water going through and some that goes through the exhaust manifold is converting to steam. It's definitely water vapor and not smoke. There is no apparent water in the oil or on the plugs, so it's probably not a cracked head or manifold. I may have a blockage in part of the sytem. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

My application to the A30 Association is in the mail.

Cheers to all,
Alan

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in
numbers, you know something about it: but when you cannot measure it, when
you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and
unsatisfactory kind: it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have
scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science.
   ---   William Thomson, (Lord Kelvin) - Popular Lectures and Addresses

Enjoy 120+ unique music channels right from your desktop! Download
Spinner Plus 2.0 <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/spinner1 ">Click Here</a>
Spinner.com. Where music lives online.