[alberg30] Atomic 4 wheels

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Fri Mar 5 10:25:21 PST 1999

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Dick,

I'm happy to hear that your Atomic 4 is alive & kicking.  As much as I would
love to repower with diesel, I can't bring myself to spend all the time
effort and MONEY to pull out a perfectly good engine.  With regard to prop
selection,  I inherited a 13x9, two bladed wheel.  Not only is it slightly
out of balance, it's too much prop.  I can't get the engine revs up into the
juicy part of the power band.  It always feels like it's lugging a little
bit.  Fortunately, here in Monterey, my mooring is only a few hundred yards
from the breakwater and the open bay, so it hasn't limited my sailing time.
When I haul-out in April I will be replacing it with a prop from CDI
(Cruising Designs, Inc.).  They have developed a prop specifically for the
Atomic 4, made from polyurethane (like bowling ball material) it is a 12x7,
two blade.  They claim this is the best unless you have wide deadwood or a
very light boat (doesn't apply to A-30's).  I actually handled one of these
at Sail Expo last year and was impressed with it's lightness and it's
toughness (and it's price, only $175).  Whether or not urethane suits your
taste, a 12x7 is probably close to ideal.  If your running a 12x6, you can't
be too far off.  I would expect that you should be able to reach hull speed,
just at a little higher revs.  I know prop shops can repitch props within
reasonable limits too.  That may be worth looking into.  Anyway, those are
my thoughts on the subject.  Good luck!

Web address for CDI's Atomic 4 prop is:  http://www.sailcdi.com/pa4page.htm

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121