[alberg30] Re: flattening reef

Wed Mar 24 10:39:53 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Gordon:

I'm in Hamilton Ontario, 50 km. West of Toronto on Lake Ontario.   We
are covered anywhere on the Great Lakes to the Mississippi entrance at
Chicago,  the Citadel at Quebec City on the St. Lawrence, the Tappensee
Bridge on the Hudson River near Nyack NY.

That is a fairly common coverage up here which is huge to say the least.
We are with Robertson & Robertson's Skipper's Plan which is well
respected up here.  Coverage to Bermuda, down to Bahamas is about $80CDN
a month, the base rate for us (no claims in 15yr, touch wood) is about
$600CDN on $95kCDN (A-37), $2MEG liability and new for old, agreed
value, 1% deductable waved on total loss.

Been sailing since 1965, and have my JN with the Canadian Power Squadron
(same as yours basically, different flag).

Needless to say we are happy with this arrangement, and they have a good
reputation of paying out promptly as long as there is no "hanky panky"
going on. At our Club there was a disastrous fire 2 years ago, they
settled all total losses within 8 days and were the first to have the
damaged boats places reserved at the Yard of the owner's choice.
In fact Bruce Robertson was down the next day after the fire (they're in
Toronto) and had by the end of the day arranged for 6 new spars to be
reserved at the makers.   Some boats with $30,000 damage where sailing
within the month, fully and beautifully repaired!

So if you're not satisfied with your insurance demand more because it is
available.

Fair winds,

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65