[alberg30] Mastep plate bolts, ie:loosening the expletive deleteds, and main halyard sheave

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 10:28:25 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Russ,
As I suspected when I looked at the situation, you confirm that it is no easy
matter.  Someone suggested that I set up a bath of kerosene and liquid wrench
on the plate, let it simmer for a while, and then hit them with an impact
wrench, but seeing that aluminum plate crack would just be too discouraging.
the plate is set in the central position now. As much as I hate having
something seized and non-adjustable or removable on the boat, I may just leave
well enough alone.

As far as getting a wider main halyard sheave to better accomodate a staset
halyard, that is a good idea, Russ.   I had to do some grinding to fit my new
retaining plates and sheave anyway, so to make the slot in the mast another
1/4" wider to ensure decreased chafe on the halyard would have been no big
deal.  Unless someone else in the group has a valid objection, I think you
should do that, Shawn, if you were going to replace the sheave, that is.
Good Luck
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer#255