[alberg30] Re: Mastep plate bolts, ie:loosening the expletive deleteds, and m...

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 13:17:25 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Lee, I took the standard one off the boat, took it to a friend who has a
machine shop, and he cut a new, wider groove for line (3/8) right over the
wire one.  You can see a trace of the wire groove at the bottom.  I take sure
to make sure it is lubed, and free every spring.  Just one of the reasons for
taking the mast down each fall.   I personally feel that cutting the slot
wider is just asking for trouble. I use a 'halyard' knot at the head shackle,
and tie a new one every other year. and cut off the old one,and cut out any
wear.  I had a splice pull out in the middle of a long distance race.  Had to
drop out to re rig the halyard..  The 'halyard knot is the only one I know
that is supposed to jam.. After you put tension on it, you will never get it
appart.  You have to cut it off, and it takes up no more space than a splice,
and I believe, is stronger.   I have replaced splices on all my halyards, and
lifts.  There are no more splices  on my boat.  Russ