[alberg30] Re: Gelinas video

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Sun Mar 28 02:19:20 PST 1999

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Hello All,

Lee has it right...the video is a great addition to any sailors library,
especially an A-30 owner.  Watching Yves' adventure makes what most of us do
seem very tame indeed.  I had a chance to speak with him at Pacific Sail
Expo last year.  Very nice fellow, soft spoken, jovial, with an air of
confidence and power.  We discussed his Cape Horn self-steering gear.  It
would seem that since the prototype was developed to match an A-30 that it
would be worth investigating.  It is unique and ingenious, and it has
minimal exposed hardware, helping to preserve Carls beautiful lines. If
you're pondering self-steering, I encourage you to take a good look.
Watching the video convinced me that it can handle anything that I'm likely
to throw at it.  If you remind him, he'll even deduct the price of the video
from your order.

P.S. How about that shot when while becalmed in mid-ocean he dons a float
coat and a helmet cam and goes swimming (without a tether, it appears).
Whew!  That stirred up a phobia for me.  What if a puff had happened along
just then?!?

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121