[alberg30] Re: Prop Ghurus assist, please!

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at cyberus.ca
Sat Mar 6 16:08:01 PST 1999

From: Jack Vanderloo <jvdloo at cyberus.ca>

Ahoy:
For the record, I'm running a Volvo Penta MD7A (14 SHP) with a 13 x 11
3-bladed prop, and while I have no tach, the old girl happily does 7 knots
in calm water at near full throttle (and 6 - 6.5 knots into any sort of chop
and wind).
Had occasion this summer to run her 12 to 14 hours a day for 6 days -
usually wide open - while transiting the Trent Severn canal system (42
locks, 250 statute miles).  Checked oil daily; used no more than half a
quart at that pace.  Never felt I was stressing the engine.

Did notice, however, at hau-out, that there was a noticeable (1" all round)
"wear" mark in the fibreglass on the rudder (port side) aperture.  Thought
it had been an occasion when the helm must have been thrown, and /or held,
over particularly hard.  Now - as a result of this particular thread -
believe it may have been the result of sustained cavitation of the
LH-turning prop.

Anyone else with this phenomenon?  Comments?

Cheers
Jack Vanderloo
KC 641