[alberg30] Re: Prop / Skeene's - Tip Clearance

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Sat Mar 6 17:54:35 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Jack Old Sport, Et Al:

According to Skeene's Elements of Yacht Design, out of print and if
anyone knows where a copy can be had please "E" me, the tip clearance on
a 2 blade prop is 10% of the diameter of said prop.  For a 3 blade the
tip clearance is 15% of the diameter.  These are minimum numbers which
if ignored can lead to tip cavitation and the erosion of the blade.
Remember water does not readily compress and so at each rotation the
blade tip attempts to compress the incompressible resulting in a shock
load at the tip which wears away the tip of the blade and in extreme
cases shock loads the drive train.   The situation is exacerbated by the
type of aperature in an Alberg where there is a rapid change in the
hydrodynamic profile as the prop tip reaches the top/bottom.

If a 10" 3 blade is use for example it will need a minimum tip clearance
of 1.5" all round from any part of the hull, a 2 blade 10" needs 1"
minimum clearance all round.

In most cases, a 12" 3 blade is all you can reasonably site in the
aparature as 13" does not allow for a full 15% clearance (minimum).

I might add that A-37s regularly use 12" 3 blades when a 3 blade is used
and their displacement is twice that of the A-30.

Personally I won't use a 3 blade as the performance loss, even on a 37,
under sail is unacceptable to me.  Having raced and sailed 30s I have
watched the horizon jobs done on 3 blade equipped boats and seen
personally how the same boat after changing the blade to a 2 became
competitive again.  Same crew, same sails, different prop.

Take care.

J Birch, Sunstone