[alberg30] Re: SWLs / Turning Blocks

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Sun Mar 7 16:47:05 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Pete:

I've done quite a bit of research on the subject of SWL on both of our
own Albergs, you are right to ask the question as a foot block has
double the load on it if it is turning the line 180%.   One thing I
discovered is the larger the shive diameter, the better to reduce
rolling friction.

Therefore a 4" shive is vastly superior to a 3" one etc.   3500 lb SWL
is a reasonable number as it is 40% of breaking/yield strength.  Don't
worry about fancy ball bearings, go for shive diameter and quality.

Personally I like Schaeffer products and am unimpressed with Harken, as
for Barton, well if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

What ever you choose I'm sure it will be the right one because you're
asking the right questions.

Fair winds,

J Birch, Sunstone