[alberg30] Re: mast step organizer

Richard Johns Richard.Johns at valley.net
Thu Mar 18 18:25:28 PST 1999

From: Richard Johns <Richard.Johns at valley.net>

Lee,
On Ecola #104  six control lines lead aft to the cockpit. I installed a 1/8
in thick stainless plate which I bought from a Detroit mail order company. (
I will try to remember the name as West and Boat us do not have it.)  The
plate is formed up at a 45 degree angle on each side and has holes which
blocks can be shackled on to. The flat base of the plate was slightly longer
and wider than the size of the A 30 mast extrusion. Drilling holes enabled
me to sandwitch it betwen the aluminum casting the mast fits over and the
larger aluminum plate in the cabin top. The weight of the mast and rig
tension holds it securly. There are four holes on each side and three fore
and aft.  I mounted two halyard organizerson top of each other with three
shieves each at the forward edge of the main cabin on the starboard side.
Just aft of the coaming on the cabin top ther are four sheet stoppers and
two cam cleats. At the aft edge of the cabin lined up with the sheet
stoppers I have a small winch.  The main, jib and spinacker halyards and the
toping lift go to the sheet stoppers.  The vang and downhaul go to the cam
cleats.

I have used this for ten years and it works nicely. You can raise sail and
fiddle with vang and downhaul tension with out leaving the cockpit. Slab
reefing is quick as the halyard can be eased to  pre set marks befor going
forward to set the reef.

Rich