[alberg30] Re: Mast Wiring

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 12:17:15 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Thom,
When we took Stargazers mast down the first time, we found an unbeleivable
tangle of instrument wires caught at the spreaders, and entwined around every
bolt and nut for the winches and cleats. Obviously,someone had removed some
masthead instrumentation and just cut the wires and let them drop while the
mast was up. I guess, at least they wouldn't bang anymore while they were
trying to sleep!
  So to answer your question, I guess removing those wires while the mast was
up would be possible, but make sure they are all free at the lower end before
you hoist yourself up in the bosun's chair, and at the top, pull them all
through before cutting anything! Installing the new wires will be more tricky;
dropping the wires through the mast, and avoiding getting snagged on the
spreader bolts, and steaming light wires will be tough. My vote; take the mast
down. the job will take half the time, and it will give you a chance to
inspect everything else on the mast.  If the masthead light is not working
because the fitting itself is broken, it would be real tough to replace from a
bosun's chair. Sounds like you really enjoyed your shopping spree!
Good luck,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255