[alberg30] Re: flattening reef

Adam Sadeg asadeg at flash.net
Tue Mar 23 10:46:12 PST 1999

From: Adam Sadeg <asadeg at flash.net>

Hi George,

I do a significant amount of racing on many different boats, particularly ULDB
sailboats, in fact my other boat is a Moore 24 which I race on San Francisco Bay.
I race and sail quite often in conditions that require a flattener or a reefed
main.  The flattening reef is meant to de-power the mainsail while it is fully
hoisted.  Typically if you have a flatting reef set up in your main, it's grommet
is about a foot or so above the clew on your main.  You should have a line
specifically set up as the flattener, and it should have a decent purchase on it,
(by the way, your outhaul should also have some decent purchase on it as well).

The best time to use a flattener is dependent on your boats performance or how
overpowered it is.  Say your out sailing, your going to weather and you've got the
rail in the water, your wife's on the helm and you can see her knuckles turning
white from all the weather helm she got.  What do you do?  First thing you would do
is put some outhaul on, and see what happens...if nothing happens and the boat is
still overpowered, then you pull some flattener on, you will see you main flatten
out considerably and the boat should begin to handle better(by the way... make sure
your vangs off or loose, as well as your main sheet, when you are putting the
flattener on, then re-snug the vang otherwise you could break your boom).    Of
course, this is assuming that you have the correct headsail up.  If your flying
your 150 in 30 knots of wind, you could be flogging your main and still have
weather helm and the rail in the water.

So a basic guide to de-powering your boat should be:
    1.  Correct headsail for the conditions.
    2.  Outhaul first...til it's maxed out.
    3.  Flattener on til it's maxed out.
    4.  Reef # 1
    5.  Reef # 2