[alberg30] Re: flattening reef

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 20:30:55 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

George I use the flatening reef when winds start to get around 15-17 K, going
to windward.  It helps depower the main a little and helps weather helm.. We
release it on a reach or run for more power.  I have a dead eye on the
starboard side, up through the flatening reef cringle, down and back (about 45
degrees) to the block, forward to a block, with a double block forward of that
( three falls), and a jam cleat.   All you have to do is ease the main sheet
out to release the pressure.  have a beefy crew pull fast, cleat, and re trim
the main sheet.  Don't do anything at the clew.  It raises the aft end of the
boom slightly, flatens the main, and cuts weather helm  The whole proceedure
takes about 30 seconds when it's done right.  We had a contest to see which of
the crew could do it fastest.    You can also use a block aft with a becket.
Tie the line on , then under the boom, up to the cringle, back down to the
block, and forward.  all you really need forward is a cleat, but I rigged the
tackle to make it easier.  Small blocks and 1/ 4 or 5/16 line will work.  If
the wind is up, do it at the dock.  Couple of bucks worth of line, a block and
a cleat, in it's simplest version.  Glad to be of service.  Russ