[alberg30] Re: Hand rails

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Mar 25 20:41:57 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Bill:

With all due respect to the views of my colleagues I must beg to differ
on one point.   Having also removed and restored handrails, I
respectfully submit, the caulking should go only on the outside and be
generously applied.   The reason is if you put caulking on both the
inside and out you won't be able to tell when the outside lets go and
you can end up with many years of the water leaking into the coring with
out realizing there is a leak.   Better to have the water drip through
into the cabin when the outside caulk fails thus letting you know it's
time to recaulk.

Additionally I suggest using a thick bead of caulk and only lightly
tightening, coming back the next day or so to tighten the extra 1/4 -
1/2 turn thus putting the caulk into compression.   This technique makes
the caulk perform more like a gasket, yet retaining the advantages of
the adhesive caulk.   It is particularly useful on items subject to
vertical load, jib tracks, stanchion bases, traveller track, etcetera.

I prefer Sikens 241, now 291 (I believe) as it is quite adhesive yet not
quite so much as 3M 5200, which means fittings can be redone without
pulling a "Tim Taylor."

Oh yes, you should take the hand rails off completely, both inside and
out.

Fair winds,

J B,  Sunstone KC-65