[alberg30] Re: cutlass bearing replacement

JANET LEMBO jlsasha at erols.com
Wed Mar 31 16:17:28 PST 1999

From: JANET LEMBO <jlsasha at erols.com>

stephen sousa wrote:

> From: "stephen sousa" <stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com>
>
> Joel,
>
> There are few different methods in removing the cutlass bearing. One is
> drive the bearing the fixture after backing out the set screws. The other
> method is to cut the cutlass bearing with a hack saw blade by hand (be
> careful) not to cut the holding fixture, and peel back the bearing which
> release the pressure.
>
> We removed the entire stern tube from Carina Vela and also replaced the
> stern tube which was worn from a misaligned shaft over the years by the
> previous owner. The stern tube can be removed by removing the two 3/8
> bronze bolts, removing the stuffing box hose/clamps and heating the tube
> internally with a torch which releases the tube from the adhesive and
> backing out the tube from the hull.
>
> We replaced the stern tube, cutlass bearing, shaft and installed a dripless
> stuffing box from P.Y.I. (no more water in the bilge) with an expected
> service life of 7-10 years.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Stephen Sousa
> Carina Vela
> -------------
> Original Text
> From: "JANET LEMBO" <jlsasha at erols.com>, on 3/29/99 8:00 PM:
> From: JANET LEMBO <jlsasha at erols.com>
>
> Hi yall, I have a few questions maybe I can get some help with, I have
> hull #449 1970 . I need to change out the cutlass bearing and redo the
> packing gland. Does anyone know the best way to get the bearing out? I
> will be pulling out the shaft for inspection (bronz) and checking the
> prop. The prop is 13/8 with marks 9 and 7 . Your guess is as good as
> mine which it is. Any help will surely be appreciated. thanks joel .
> jlsasha at erols.com.

> We have a new web site!
> http://www.onelist.com
> Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services

> Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
> http://www.onelist.com
> Onelist: A free email community service
Stephen, Thanks for the info, I have been repairing everything else on
(Janus) over the past two years in the water. Its time to do the bottom.
I had thought about the mechanical seal but will hold off for a while I
dont know what i will find financially when I pull the shaft. Has
everyone gone to stainless or staying with bronz?? Thanks again for the
help..Joel..