[alberg30] Re: Hand Rails

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Thu Mar 25 14:59:36 PST 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

Having removed and re-installed both sets of handrails 5 years ago, I can
only suggest that in the long run, you would be better off to remove both
the interior and exterior rails in the same operation.  This way you'll be
able to remove all the old caulk, sand and refinish the complete set of
rails, and do a proper job of caulking on the re-install.  Given the effects
of the environment, I suspect the exterior caulk is more readily broken down
(resulting in leaks) than the interior.  So if in the process of removing
the interior rails only, the degraded exterior seal is further compromised,
leaks will find their way either into the cabin (or worse, the deck coring)
no matter how good of a caulking job you may have done on the interior.
Given that the removal of the rails may involve some "gentle persuasion," it
is very likely that the old seal will be broken during a partial removal and
leaks will  ensue (even if there were no leaks before the attempted
removal).
Another point to consider:  without access to both the head and the nut
ends(which will require removal of both the exterior and interior
pungs-another potential seal compromising procedure) you may find the bolt
will turn when you loosen and/or tight them.  Unless you can re-tighten the
bolts sufficiently upon re-installation, they will work themselves lose,
causing a leak or worse, possibly breaking them.  In my opinion, a proper
caulk job on re-installation involves (1) placing caulk on the underside of
the bolthead, on the base and in the holes of both the interior and exterior
rails and deck, (2) partially tightening the bolts (avoid squeezing all the
caulk out), while the caulk is fresh and completing the process after it has
cured, and (3) placing caulk on top of the bolt head and nut before
replacing the pungs.  I followed this process when re-finished my handrails
and still no leaks or lose rails  fives years later.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445