[alberg30] atomic four exhaust system

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Tue May 4 04:24:07 PDT 1999

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Hi all:

I recently unwrapped the asbestos wrapping around the exhaust port at the
manifold of my atomic four. Previously I had noticed an exhaust leak coming
from the point where the galvanized pipe, wrapped in asbestos, met the
manifold on the atomic four. I pulled away the asbestos and found rust!
lots of it. Its a @#@#$ disaster.

In fact the coupling for the exhaust pipe is so rusted, I cant see the bold
heads, I can't even make them out. Its just one giant lump of rusted metal
all fused together. I think even the very back underside of the manifold
might be rusted. I have poked and hammered on it and tried to clean it up
to see whats going on but its just a lump of metal.

1) How do i get this thing off? I cant even see the bolts, or even make out
the coupling. (PS: if someone has a photo of what the coupling might look
like intact- that would help, my A4 manuals dont show it clearly.) I can't
get anything to budge anywhere.

2) Should I try and get it off? I have found no leaks in the pipe or the
manifold or whats left of the coupling. Can I leave it and wrap it back up
with something? Maybe the initial leak was steam? (wishful thinking...)
The exhaust pipe while corroded and initially flaky is now cleaned to point
where its solid metal again.

I recall Dan Sternglass had a similar problem.
What was the solution?

Thanks in advance,

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"