[alberg30] Lightning protection

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Thu May 13 20:56:03 PDT 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Dear Gordon:You seem to be the man who has lots of knowledge of sailing
and A-30's inside in out.There is something that has been puzzling me
since I bought my boat back in Sept.On the back stay there is a pair of
insulators one high and one low,I think there called insulators used on
power line poles,I'm pretty sure they are protection for lightning
strikes,but thats not whats puzzling me.Just aft of the cockpit on port
and stbd. sides on the deck someone installed a pvc flange with a nipple
and cap,on the inside there are  small lenghts of brass or copper chains
that hang from each one of these pvc deck mounts,these chains do not
touch the hull,is it lightning protection,static electricity
protection?"High Spirits"#191