[alberg30] Atomic 4 Exhaust leak

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed May 5 08:43:04 PDT 1999

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

"APSTEC.COM (A. Bagchi)" wrote:

> From: abagchi at apstec.com (APSTEC.COM (A. Bagchi))
>
> I seem to have an exhaust leak on Shamrock as well...

I had a hard-to-find Atomic-4 exhaust leak on my 1966 A-30. Turned out
to be in the exhaust pipe elbow in the lazarette where the pipe comes
straight up from the bottom of that compartment. Should have been
obvious, since a lot of plumbing leaks are in elbows, and there may be a
small amount of standing water in there, which, coupled witht hte heat
breeds corrosion.

The result was that since the galvanized elbow was so rusted, we had to
take off the manifold and drill the screws out on the bench as was
suggesed in an earlier pst in this thread) to replace the pipes. At that
point, I opted to replace all of the (relatively) cheap galvanized pipe.
Also, apparently there is a high temperature pipe wrapping sold for race
cars that is essentially identical, but a lot cheaper than the marine
version.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY