[alberg30] Atomic 4 Exhaust leak

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed May 5 10:06:54 PDT 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

  You're right about the pipe + salt water/condensation + heat+ exhaust
gasses accelerating corrosion. I don't know about galvanized pipe
becoming toxic, but I do know that to have the exhaust break off many
miles from harbor in a dead calm spells trouble. I had that happen in
1997 and I'm still cleaning the soot out of the boat. Prior owner used
hardware store pipe when he installed the diesel and it looked fine on
the outside but broke without warning.
    We managed to rig up a hose to get the raw cooling  water overboard
that would have sunk us, but had no way to get the gasses piped
overboard. Major mess!!
    I replaced it with bronze, at $100 for the fitting, but worth it if
I never have that happen again.
    I have catalogues of racing stuff if anyone needs a reference to
exhaust wrap.
                        - Gordon White A-275