[alberg30] KC150 Rudder

Michael Hay phay at netcom.ca
Tue May 18 07:32:49 PDT 1999

From:  Peter Hay (Mike is my son and I am using his computer, hence the name)
           phay at netcom.ca

            We sail out of Goderich (Maitland Valley Marina).  I bought my boat from a gentleman in Sarnia last fall.  Sounds as if you have tiller steering (I have wheel steering which requires a different setup).  If that is the case, you probably have a solid fiberglass tube coming up from the hull to the bottom of the cockpit floor.  The rudder shaft runs through it.  You probably do not have packing gland as such.  The only way water can get up to the cockpit floor is if it is forced up by wave action, etc.  You need to get down into the port locker and take a look at the exact setup of the rudder.  I suspect that the rudder tube is worn and is allowing water to freely come up along the rudder shaft between it and the tube.

            There should be lots of help available from others on the onelist who are more familiar than I am about tiller configurations.  If in fact you have a wheel configuration I will be glad to assist more.

            Where are you moored?  I am in "TO" a lot and it would be great talking to you.

Stay in touch.

Peter Hay