[alberg30] Telescope

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 08:39:09 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Friends,
While not an Alberg 30 topic exactly, just want to share something with you
all.
If anyone has been thinking of getting a telescope for Stargazing, (gigle), I
found a good deal.
the Heartland of America catalogue has a Meade 292 60 mm refractor with 4 eye
pieces, a diagonal reflector, 3x Barlow, an equatorial mount, and wooden
tripod, and a software starfinder, for 99.00.  Ours came in the mail on Sat,
and we used it for the first time on sunday night.  It is a good entry level
scope, for the price.  We clearly saw the rings of saturn, and the moons of
jupiter, and as I learn to use it better, are looking forward to seeing some
binary stars, spiral galaxies, and the like.
I didn't want to post anything until I actualy used it my self, because at
this price, I had great apprehension that it was going to be a piece of JUNK,
and I wouldn't see anything.  But the scope lists for over 600, and I
couldn't find it's replacement model (the 292 has been replaced by the 285)
for less than 300 at any discount mail order house.  And as I say, the optics
are good.
Just FYI for all you celestial and  budding astronomical sailors out there.
Apologies for cluttering the list for those not interested,
Lee
Stargazer #255

(PS if any skeptics are wondering out there, I'm just writing this out of the
excitement I felt at seeing Jupiter's moons for the first time, and I want to
share that.  I won't get anything if anyone orders the scope)