[alberg30] Tacking Angles

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Nov 8 08:33:10 PST 1999

From: Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   Well, Delaware Bay is  not my favorite body of water. Wide as can be but
with a narrow channel and you have to dodge big traffic. Even smaller power
boats  never seem to give way when they are burdened. Only once in 40 years
of sailing have I gotten a fair wind on Delaware Bay. Usually it's either
flat calm or on the nose. Maybe your poor tacking was the tide against you?
I find that having more leading edge helps you point. Maybe a little more
genny would have helped. The speed indicator helps me as much as those
telltales. As George says, maybe the stays were a little loose.
                            - Gordon White