[alberg30] Jammed main Halyard cable

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Tue Nov 9 17:46:59 PST 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Think I'm gonna start a book on my single handed mishaps.I'm sure this
has happened to some of you over the years.Was going out for an
afternoon sail today,work slow in shipyard,three feet from the top the
main halyard cable jammed I was still in protected waters,but the cable
wouldn't go either way.Tried using headsail winch with rope to pull sail
down no luck.I removed sail from boom and wrapped it around the mast as
best I could and return to marina,lost a couple of battens from sail
whipping against shrouds,tore ends of batten pockets.Friend hoisted me
up and was able to drop sail,so now I'm gonna do what I should have done
when I first bought the boat,take the mast down,buff and paint it and
repair anything that looks like trouble.Sheave had wear on it from cable
sliding over it,probably been that way for a while.My boat is 1965 the
winch has a brake on it,maybe original equipment.Has anyone converted
from cable to rope on main halyard?Is it worth the effort to convert or
should I just take the mast down and make sure top hard ware is in good
working order?Any thoughts on this matter will be appreciated.

"High Spirits"# 191 Galliano,La.  Dick Fillinich
P.S I hope I'm not the only one who goes through these adrenalin rushes.