[alberg30] Jammed main Halyard cable

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Tue Nov 9 20:13:35 PST 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

Dick,

When re-rigging Tangaroa for single-handed sailing, I installed a new main
wire halyard with a rope tail and removed the cable winch from the mast.  A
new winch was installed on the coach roof winch pad (starboard) with a three
gang line stopper in front of that.   The rope tail was necessary so as to
1) not mess up the new halyard winch itself, 2) retain the masthead sleeve
(designed for cable) and 3) go easy  on the hands.  As you probably already
know those wire winch handles can become lethal weapons if they get away
from you.

I purchased the halyard (with rope tail attached to the cable) from BOATUS
and then cut down the cable to the right length.  The critical measurement
for me was the length of cable run required to allow for dousing the sail
without permitting the rope tail to enter the masthead sleeve and at the
same time keep the rope-to-wire connection from coming to rest on the
turning block at the base of the mast when in the hoisted position.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445