[alberg30] Reefing -- Give me 2 sets of reef points any day

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Nov 1 08:06:07 PST 1999

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> From: SandersM at aol.com
>
> Bob, greetings.
>
> I was interested to read your remarks:...

Here's another (unsolicited) opinion:

I would *never* get a new main without 2 sets of reef points! Even in my
inland lake (Cayuga lake, Ithaca, NY), I have used both sets of reef
points any number of times over 14 years, and the second set more often
than the 1st. I've sailed the boat in up to 40 MPH winds with the 2nd
reef and no jib, but even at 25-30 MPH, with the working jib and the 2nd
reef it's very stable and easy to handle when double reefed. I think the
incremental cost is very small compared to the benefit. The boat
definitely gets over-powered at times, and it's nice to have the 1st
reef -- go faster AND do less work. I have -never- regretted reefing...

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com

Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!
Join PROS&PUNDITS.  For details go to: