[alberg30] Reefing -- Give me 2 sets of reef points any day

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 08:33:19 PST 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

Dan, greetings.

thanks for your thoughts.  You said:

>I would *never* get a new main without 2 sets of reef points! Even in my
>inland lake (Cayuga lake, Ithaca, NY), I have used both sets of reef
>points any number of times over 14 years, and the second set more often
>than the 1st.

Fair enough -- I don't think that I would want only a single set, either, if
the set were placed at the first reef point of most sails.  But do you see
any merit in Bob's comment, that a single set of reef points midway between
the two traditional reef placements gives him a reef that works in nearly all
conditions?  Bob's point, if I understand him, is that the deeper first reef
works for him in nearly all conditions; he says he has a second reef, but has
never used it.  You are right, that the incremental cost of a second set of
reef points is low.  But do you think that it is a bad idea to locate the
first set higher on the sail, as Bob suggests?

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF (# 297)
Oyster Bay, New York.

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.