[alberg30] Re: Give me 2 sets of reef points any day

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Nov 1 08:43:05 PST 1999

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> From: SandersM at aol.com
>
> Dan, greetings.

> Fair enough -- I don't think that I would want only a single set, either, if
> the set were placed at the first reef point of most sails.  But do you see
> any merit in Bob's comment, that a single set of reef points midway between
> the two traditional reef placements gives him a reef that works in nearly all
> conditions?

If I could only have one set, it would pretty close to the second set of
reef points, since I use them more often and -still- have (on rare
occasions) also dropped the jib. I guess it boils down to how easily you
can reef. If you put the appropriate blocks and cleats on the boom, and
leave the reefing lines in place, you can reef quickly and easily once
you get into the habbit. If, OTOH, you don't expect to reef often, or
don't want to deal with leaving the reefing lines rigged, one is
probably better. In either case, if you suspect that you might need to
reef underway, you should be prepared to reef quickly, which most likely
means leaving it rigged, and having a plan to hook the outhaul to the
reef point on the leech, or get enough tension in the foot of the sail
from the reeflin line (unlikely, in my experience).

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com

Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!
Join PROS&PUNDITS.  For details go to: