[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Mon Nov 1 08:48:42 PST 1999

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

	Sanders,

	Its not the idea of leaving when a second reef is required, it is
getting back! That is, in two years of sailing Calliope on the Chesapeake
and Delaware Bays, I've probably used the second reef 10% of the time that I
needed the first reef.

	After putting in the second reef, if she feels undercanvased, I can
always fine tune the sail area with the roller furling genoa, and it helps
to tune the balance as well.

	But when all hell breaks loose, I'm very happy I have that second
reef- it means I still can sail my boat and keep her underway safely and
comfortably. I admit, if I was having a new main made I'd even go for a
third reef...

	Tom F.
	Calliope #287