[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 10:18:37 PST 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

Bob, greetings.

I'm never sure whether these exchanges about Long Island Sound are
appropriate for general list discussion, or whether this is a dialogue we
should have by email.  (Do you Bay denizen mind the chat about the Sound?)
But in reply to your message:

>The sails are 17 years old and I
>expect to replace them this year. The first replacement set came from
>Ulmer/Kolius at City Island. They were good sails. I will probably check
>out a local sailmaker first but am not sure where I will go for them. I
>am
>out of touch with subject. (Just looked in the yellow pages and the
>sailmaker that has done repairs for me isn't even listed!) I'd be
>interested to hear what you find out. I had thought that I might try an
>Annapolis sailmaker, but I am a little leery about being too far away if
>anything needs fixing.

Mine are only a bit newer, from the Hild loft on City Island.  I talked to
the UK folks on City Island over the summer and thought that their estimate
was high.  I've also spoken with the Triton loft in Ontario (the folks who
cut the original A30 sails) and was quoted a rate of CDN$2565 for a
fully-battened main and CDN$2345 for a 153% roller-furling genoa with a foam
luff insert.  By my calculations, this works out to something around $3,500,
which is a bit less less than UK.

I've just returned from a four-day sail up to Stonington (INCREDIBLE
weather!) to leave WILD ELF with Dodson's Boatyard for the winter.  Their
service manager tells me that Dodson's recommends a couple of local lofts in
Mystic that will cut the sails for a good deal less than the Triton quote.
If you want, I will send you their quotes when I receive them.

Another option that occurred to me, but that I haven't pursued, is the Banks
loft in Oyster Bay.  I have heard good things about their work from the folks
at Oyster Bay Marine Center.  The advantage of using them, for us, would be
that thery are local and can fit the sails to our rigs with little travel.
My boat, though, is now in the Eastern Sound for the winter, so I'm not sure
it makes sense for me to ask them to cut the sails.

Do you suppose that we should look into the possibility of buying the sails
together, as a single purchase?  Would a loft offer a discount if it were
cutting two suits at the same time?  If you're interested, I will ask the
Mystic lofts when I speak with them whether they would give a discount for
two suits.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF (# 297)
Oyster Bay, New York