[alberg30] Cabin heaters

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 08:02:08 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Friends,
I'm reading this thread on cabin heaters with great interest, because it is
one more project we have to tackle on Stargazer.  She came with the charlie
noble in place, but no stove- only the charred outline on the port forward
bulkhead, 2/3 of the way up, where the stove had been.  the cabin overhead
was marked wth a fine layer of soot.
Rona and I have looked at the Newport solid fuel stove, and read about the
the Force 10, kerosene, diesel, etc. etc.  We both love watching a fire in a
fireplace, so the solid fuel is attractive to us, but tending a fire in a
4"by4" fireplace might not be worth it, considering the effieciency of the
kerosene that we would be giving up.  Also in the back of my mind are the
descriptions of the old Shipmate coal stoves that Wm. Atkin often included in
his articles about his old wooden double ended designs, glowingly talking
about the warmth of the cabin from their dry fires.  But too, I recall
Rockwell Kent cursing the same shipmates stoves in  'N by E', as that 33 foot
modified Colin Archer 'Direction' rolled and pitched on her way to Greenland
in 1929, spewing smoke and ashes all over him. "What twisted mind thought of
a coal range at sea....." he exclaimed.  Academic, anyway, because where
would I put a Shipmate coal range on an Alberg 30.  My experimentation with
coal will have to wait until I can build my Atkin double ender!! For those of
you familiar with Wm. Atkin's designs, the one I love is Thistle, the 32 ft.
flush deck cutter.  Very similar in hull shape, if not identical, to Suhaili,
The boat Robin Knox-Johnston sailed around the world in 1968.
So, yes, this is a letter with no conclusion. Is it only early November? :)
Lee
Stargazer #255