[alberg30] New Alberg Owner Questions

Gavin Jefferies gj262 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 12:03:55 PST 1999

From: Gavin Jefferies <gj262 at yahoo.com>

Hi,

Couple of problems with my newly bought Alberg - Sasha 1965 #96.

The greymarine, which I think is the original engine, has started cutting out.
I'll be motoring along and all of a sudden the revs will drop at which point it
may cut or pick up again. I'm inexperienced with inboard engines and I was
wondering if any list members could recommend a good practical marine engine
maintenance book.

The track on the mast that the gooseneck attaches to has warped off by about 30
degrees pulling out most of the screws. I don't know how it happened as I was
not on the boat at the time. I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced
this and what was the cause in your case? As far as fixing it I haven't tried
to remove the track yet but I suspect that I'll have to lower the mast? Which
in my case means a trip to a professional.

Along the same lines the plate on the end of the boom that the main tackle
attaches to is also warped. The bolt attached to it seems to be clasped on the
inside and in any case the fittings are solidly welded in place from years of
over painting. Any ideas as to how I might remove it?

In general I think that I've been sailing too hard and stressing the rigging
more than it can take. Perhaps I should reef in winds greater than 15 knots?

Any thoughts, opinion, conjecture, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gavin