[alberg30] A30 hatch

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Sun Nov 7 22:21:00 PST 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

Harlan;

Had a similar problem on my A-30 for many years. In my situation I
determined the  "problem" was a result of the colder temperatures.  It
appeared that the colder temperature may have caused a slight contraction of
either the companion-way hatch and/or the seahood.  This slight contraction
resulted in the seahood and hatch coming into slight contact with one
another and caused a somewhat loud screech when the hatch was opened or
closed.  This screeching occurred both with the boat in the water and on the
"hard."   It went away in the spring when things warmed up.

It went away permanently over the last winter, but I can't explain why.  It
may have had something to do with the glass work I had done around the mast
step over  the winter-just a guess.  You might want to remove the seahood
and hatch and tighten up the slides on the under side of the hatch and/or
file down the lip of the seahood a little.

Chet Koop
Tanagroa #445