[alberg30] Support Beam

Joe Tokarz alberg30 at interactive.net
Mon Nov 8 18:13:25 PST 1999

From: alberg30 at interactive.net (Joe Tokarz)

Guy: you describe exactly what has occurred on "One Less Traveled". I think
the extra space at the bottom of the door to the v-berth is the way it came
from the factory. If not I won't loose any sleep over it.  Clearly the
sagging liner is the result of a damaged core. This is not a problem. While
slightly disappointing, it can be repaired easily. Consult George's new
version of the Maintenance Manual. It is the definitive source of
information for these repairs, offering multiple solutions to the problem.
Second, consider drilling pilot holes to determine what parts of the
mast-step deck area are damaged. If I could re-do I'd have routed a smaller
area.

Also consider repairing from below, through the liner; there's an article
in the Manual about how to do this. Otherwise you will have a large area to
repair topsides when it comes time for matching the non-skid and mast-step.

If you can't get around to it, so what. Like I said the mast-step will be
there for a while- although it may naugh at your conscience a little.

PS- email me direct for some more comments on things not to do. This was
the biggest Alberg project I tackled so far, and I learned a few lessons.
--'course I always learn things the hard way. See my ode to boat
restoration (shameless plug):

http://userweb.interactive.net/~alberg30/poem.html

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"