[alberg30] Jammed main Halyard cable

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 21:46:27 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Dick, just another good reason to take the mast down each winter.  When I
bought Ca Va, the first winter I found the mast head shiv frozen, as was the
jib halyard block.  I replaced the jib block, along with the wire rope
halyard.( with rope).  I removed the shiv, cleaned it, had it machined to
take line, lubed it and reinstalled it.  What a diference.  I threw away that
arm breaker of a reel halyard winch.  Installed a big regular winch.    I had
a problem of not being able to lower sail this summer.  The first time, after
a race, we mannaged to get it down, tuging, and pulling.  The second time, it
finally pulled a few inches of track away from the mast at the top.  One sail
slide was too close to the top of the headboard, and came off the track,
aparently,. at full hoist.  The slide was bent, and we sent someone up the
mast to bend the track back.  I cut the slide right off the sail for the rest
of the summer.  It will be replaced this winter, lower.  Yep, sure glad I had
a crew along.  Must have been a terror alone.
Russ Pfeiffer