[alberg30] Jammed main halyard

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Fri Nov 12 17:13:48 PST 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

What I thought to be a rusted steel sheave turns out to be when I pulled
it out today,is a material called marcarta.Machinist says its is used in
electrical systems switch boards,boxes etc.The lip was worn down on one
side,gonna replace with a self lubricating nylon type of material we use
as wear plates on offshore steering systems.Lee things were as you
describe alum.plate either side with s.s bushing on s.s bolt.I'm just
getting back from New Orleans had a new back stay made up $134.20 with
new fittings,but different at top,thimble and eye changed out with
marine eye,rigger said 1x19 cable should not be bent into an eye.I'll
try ebay but today I was given a number for a company called Traditional
Marine Outfitters 1-800-363-2628 to maybe locate a winch.My head sail
winch has a #2 on it.Lee I'll send you another cajun humor
direct.Charles in Dubai, McDermotts yard personnel called us off shore
trash,been to the north sea Great Yarmouth,drop me a line.While waiting
on new backstay found North Sails loft and priced new set of sails how
would this compare to northern prices Main 7 0z 2 reefs 4 battens 247
s.q ft. $1284 ,152% 5 0z. genoa 287 sq.ft. $1070,100% jib 7 oz. 180
sq.ft. $908 all sails of dacron with bags,leechline,cross panel
layout.This great deal I made on the boat,with all the improvements I've
made new engine etc. is still less than some boats I looked at buying
but were getting close to that invisible line.Hey folks sorry I ramble
on my e-mails,but you are the only people I get a chance to exchange
ideas with and learn. "High Spirits"#191 Galliano,La.    Dick