[alberg30] Jammed main halyard

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Nov 16 07:14:59 PST 1999

From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at min.net>

> I would be a little more concerned about that crack in the
> spreader socket.
> If that gives in a blow and you lose your spreader, you can
> lose the whole
> rig in a blink of an eye.  I would replace both spreader
> sockets.   George
> Dinwiddie can probably give you a good source. George?

I don't know of a particular source, but you could easily
get them made by any marine welder.  There are a variety
of spreader setups on the A30's.  Ours has tubular spreaders.
The socket is a short piece of stainless pipe welded to
a stainless plate and bolted on the mast.  The ones designed
for wooden spreaders generally have two plates welded to
the mounting plate.  Check your dimensions; the thickness
of the spreaders seems to vary from boat to boat.

If it were me, I'd probably just take the cracked socket
to the welder and have them look at it.  If they thought
it was basically OK, I'd have them weld the crack closed.
I'd sleep better.

 - George