[alberg30] Jammed main halyard

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Tue Nov 16 15:12:22 PST 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at min.net>
>
> > I would be a little more concerned about that crack in the
> > spreader socket.
> > If that gives in a blow and you lose your spreader, you can
> > lose the whole
> > rig in a blink of an eye.  I would replace both spreader
> > sockets.   George
> > Dinwiddie can probably give you a good source. George?
>
> I don't know of a particular source, but you could easily
> get them made by any marine welder.  There are a variety
> of spreader setups on the A30's.  Ours has tubular spreaders.
> The socket is a short piece of stainless pipe welded to
> a stainless plate and bolted on the mast.  The ones designed
> for wooden spreaders generally have two plates welded to
> the mounting plate.  Check your dimensions; the thickness
> of the spreaders seems to vary from boat to boat.
>
> If it were me, I'd probably just take the cracked socket
> to the welder and have them look at it.  If they thought
> it was basically OK, I'd have them weld the crack closed.
> I'd sleep better.
>
>  - George
>
> George:I guess I'll have one of the aluminum welders at the shipyard
where I work grind out that small crack and have it welded up.I don't
work aluminum,but the aluminum crew are always working on old crew boat
some go back over twenty years.Basically if after you grind out the
metal to be welded and there's enough left to weld on then you can make
a weld.Lee you like your sawsall, well buddy you'd like working aluminum
then you could cut till your hearts content.My mast and spreaders if
original equipment,33 yrs.has just a little corrosion near winch area
and on very top pad eyes.Going to repaint with two part expoxy primer
and epoxy paints.of the type used on offshore crew boats.My spreaders
are flat rounded like top side of airplane wing,air foils?Insulation
hose over wiring got it.Lee I tried ebay but had no response in my
search for a winch,does anyone have a source to find these bronze
winches,I think someone mentioned Mich.but can't seem to find it on my
e-mail.Lee I've got another one coming at you.
"High Spirits"#191                                   Dick