[alberg30] bowsprit/anchor roller

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Nov 17 21:53:57 PST 1999

From: John Birch <sunstone at idirect.com>

Tom;
Thank you for your response.

Yes I have several projects.   One is a fancy teak folding boarding ladder similar to
those depicted in "The Finely Fitted Yacht" Matte.   The Bronze is to protect the
front of the ladder from dingys coming along side.   I have a brass half oval on
right now but it doesn't look as good against the bronze ladder hardware nor will it
wear well when we finally go to salt in our oft put-on-hold cruising plans.   As Sir
Humphrey is want to say to Jim Hacker in 'Yes Minister,' when asked when a thing
would be done, "in the fullness of time Minister" - but I hope the big cruise will be
sooner than that!

Another project is to protect the teak from the main car block which chews it up on
the top with some bronze, and other misc chafing points.   I like keeping the Cetol
on and in good shape.

Again, I appreciate you getting back to me and if you or anyone else finds a source
of Bronze half oval or half round please let me know.  That is a fine looking bow
roller by the way.

John

SutherlandT wrote:

> From: SutherlandT <sutherlandt at prodigy.net>
>
> John ... First I will thank you for your patience with my sending those pics to
> the list , I felt pretty stupid.
>
> About the Bronze/Brass half oval ... I am not really sure. I did not make this
> roller. It was on my boat when I bought it . For the record it seems to be
> holding up very well and the boat did come from the coast (north Carolina). The
> sprit in my opinion is not only very functional but the plan seems quite simple.
>
> I did check my Hamilton Marine catalogue and though they list brass for their
> oval and half rounds, they do show their round (solid rod) stock in "Silicon
> Bronze"  They list this in up to 3/4 inch stock.
>
> I have a friend in NC that I will ask when I see him in the spring but am not
> sure if he was able to find bronze or had to go with the brass. He was installing
> a rub rail on a Pearson 35.
>
> Do you have a particular project in mind ?
>
> John Birch wrote:
>
> > From: John Birch <sunstone at idirect.com>
> >
> > I notice your anchor roller has Bronze half oval, would you tell me where you
> > got it and if they are still in business?    If it is not bronze but brass
> > instead, how well has it been holding up against the salt?  Real bronze half
> > oval has become extremely hard to find, if you have a source it would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> > SutherlandT wrote:
> >
> > > Jay ... here they come!
> > >
> > > Tom S
> > > A30  #412

> > >  [Image]  [Image]  [Image]  [Image]  [Image]

       GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA:
Get an APR as low as 9.9 Fixed & NO annual fee! Apply online today!