[alberg30] Remove step plate

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Sat Nov 20 22:24:31 PST 1999

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at interactive.net>

Guy: I did what you're probably trying to avoid...I ripped the hell out of
the 1/2 inch pad that makes up the mast step. I used a big flat bladed
screw driver and poked a hole through the liner--then I discovered that
there was such a thing as a wide blade flat wood chisel. I expect that you
will have to damage the 1/2 inch pad to some degree to get it off and
recore the deck.

As we say in New York/New Jersey...forgetaboutit!

Rebuild the whole thing from scratch after you repair the core. Scott
Murray A30 "Bill Of Rights" has an article about the repair and recreation
of the pad.  While the 1/2 inch pad may be intact, there's bound to be
delamination where the pad joins the deck. This is what you're ultimately
going to repair. Try and delicately scrape that thing off. Good luck. It
didn't work for me.

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"